Thursday, April 28, 2011

a child and a honeymoon

I attended another funeral last week. It feels like there has been a lot of those lately.

I came away from this one with a new perspective on Heaven....I've been mulling it around in my brain ever since.

The minister told a story about a father who was doing his best to inform his 5-year old son about what it would be like to go on a honeymoon someday in the child's distant future. He told the little boy (as best he could explain) that it would be one of the most fun days of his whole life--even better than Christmas presents-- and that he would get to spend time with the person he loved most in all the world. The little boy was puzzled and asked, "So, do I get to bring my new bike on my honeymoon?" His dad told him that it wouldn't be necessary to take his bicycle along. "Well then, can Jason go with me on my honeymoon?" Again, his father smiled and shook his head, assuring the boy that, when the time came for his honeymoon, he really wouldn't WANT to take his best friend along.

The boy remained unconvinced. Because there was no way his 5-year-old mind could comprehend a honeymoon. He simply had to trust that his daddy knew what he was talking about.

So often we are like that. We hear about how wonderful Heaven will be, that it is beyond compare and all of the incredible joys we will experience there. It sounds nice but... I prefer to hold on to my "bicycle and Jason." Do I really want to walk on streets of gold and sing in a choir for a million years? Won't I long for the familiarity of earth? What about my family and my loved ones? How will I know they will be okay when I'm gone? If I am completely honest, I'm not sure I really want to go. At least not now.

And so I must trust my Father. He knows whereof He speaks.

Revelation 21:4
"And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things have passed away."

1 comment:

  1. Fan, I imagine it will be even more wonderful than I imagine!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete