Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Power of a Whisper

I can't take the credit for the following entry but I thought it's worth sharing. I found it on a blog by Wayne Jacobsen.

This comes from the finding-the-truth-in-strange-places department of my life. If you want to know why God often speaks to us in a still small voice, I know of no better explanation than this, by a chef and former NFL football player:

"If you want your kids to listen to you, don’t yell at them. Whisper. Make them lean in. My kids taught me that and I do it with adults now."
Mario Batali, in Esquire


Great advice for parents! Even better for us to understand why God doesn’t scream his plan and purpose into our lives. It’s an invitation, not a demand! Yes, it takes a bit to learn to listen to that voice and give it the place in your life that it deserves, but what he wants most is for us to lean in and enjoy Him, not just get his wisdom.

My sheep know my voice, Jesus said. It’s not about hearing first; it’s always about relationship!

1 comment: