Thursday, January 5, 2012

My best birthday gifts

For my birthday, I received a coupon from my husband, entitling me to "an overnight stay at ______________, to be joined by a mystery couple on January 1 at 3:00 pm."

Since we had already celebrated my 50th birthday several times in different small settings, I couldn't imagine who would be going away with us for a weekend.

The mystery "couple" turned out to be better than I could have expected--my entire family surprised me by showing up at the cabin Carl had rented for the weekend!Carson and Christy hid under blankets while Tessa videotaped the surprise. =)Doug, Mandi and Morgan joined us a bit later in the day.



I was honored, humbled, really--that my children, who are all now young adults, would choose to clear their schedule to make time to be together for my birthday. I recognize that they all have lives to live, busy schedules and places to go. It was the best birthday present.

There were no deep conversations or stimulating discussions that weekend, just the being there was the gift. Mandi and Doug cooked a traditional pork and sauerkraut meal for New Year's Day. We played board games and Family Feud on our Iphones, read and played with 2-year-old Morgan. We all fell asleep in the living room the first night.









"Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.
Let your kids be who they are,
and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit."

~Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment